Are You Taking Advantage of Available Auto Insurance Discounts?
Let’s face it, a large part of our monthly incomes goes into our cars – from finance payments, maintenance and repairs, to auto insurance. And, depending on the type of car you drive, the cost of gasoline can literally be driving you to the poor house. That’s why, you ask yourself: Am I taking advantage of all my available auto insurance discounts?
It should be fairly easy to answer…but, then, again – that depends on whether or not your insurance agent is looking out for you or himself. Knowing what’s being offered discount-wise and what you may qualify for is important. After all, auto insurance isn’t cheap, so why not benefit from all the discounts that may apply to you? Below are some money-saving ways you may or may not be aware of:
1. Good Driving Discount – It goes without saying that maintaining a clean driving record is one of the best ways to lower your premium. Proving you’re a safe driver to your insurance company may make you eligible for a discount. To save even more money, you may want to consider taking an approved defensive driving course. Many auto insurance carriers will offer this additional discount as well.
2. Multiple Car Discount – If you own more than one vehicle you should be able to qualify for a multiple car discount. The annual average savings on your policy can be up to 25 percent off.
3. Multiple Policy Discount – If you own a home or business, are covered by a renters insurance policy, or paying for boat insurance, in addition to your auto insurance – using different insurers – try combining all of your current policies with your auto insurance carrier. They’ll more than likely show their appreciation for the extra business you sent their way by rewarding you with a multiple policy discount.
4. Safety Features Discount – Technologically speaking, safety features in newer cars have made heading down the road much safer for all of us. Items such as air bags, anti-lock brakes, running lights, collision-avoidance systems, and cameras are only a few examples of what auto insurers look for in the car you drive to lower your annual insurance premium. If your vehicle is equipped with a high-end, factory installed security system – even better.
While you probably qualify for a discount by driving a safety-friendly vehicle… many insurance companies are now also offering savings if you happen to own an environmentally-friendly and alternative-fuel vehicle. Reason for this is – insurers believe that if you’re thoughtful about the environment…you’ll be more thoughtful about your driving and other motorists on the road.
5. Marriage Discount – Again, auto insurers use a range of statistics to evaluate and charge us according to those stats. One of those is that married drivers are less likely to be involved in car accidents than single drivers. That being said, since all carriers are different, you might contact your insurance company to ask if they offer such a discount.
6. Teen Driver Good Grades Discount – If you have a teen driver in your household…no one has to tell you what suddenly happened to your low rates when you added them to your policy. Your annual premiums went through the roof.
However, there is some relief available if your teenager earns good grades in school. The theory here is – teen drivers who maintain a high GPA have fewer accidents than those with poor grades. Therefore, if your teen has a “B” average or higher, you can apply for the Good Grades Discount.
7. Senior Safe Driver Discount – You don’t automatically qualify for this one just because you’re a senior and 55 or older. You have to be a proven safe driver with no accidents or traffic tickets for quite some time. But, it’s definitely a nice savings if you fit the bill.
8. Military Discount – Some insurance companies offer a discount if you can verify you’re serving in the military.
9. Automatic Payment Discount – You may want to ask about this one, but you can save money by setting up a monthly automatic payment plan from your checking account or credit/debit card. Though it may not be a huge amount, a discount is a discount. And, every little bit helps.
Keep in mind that, while all auto insurance companies are different, one thing they have in common is – they all offer discounts. So, don’t be afraid to ask your insurance agent which ones you qualify for and start saving some money.
As long as you’re in the mood to save money…make sure you’re getting the best rate on your auto insurance. Why not get a free auto insurance quote today?
Does your insurance company give you multiple discounts? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.