Because an SR-22 is associated with high-risk auto insurance, it is important you properly file the required documents. Also, keep in mind, a teen driver designated as a high-risk driver must also file an SR-22 if required. Here are the necessary steps:


The SR-22 financial responsibility form is required in the following cases:

  1. In case of suspension of license due to an accumulation of moving violations such as reckless driving.
  2. In case of convictions for driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI).
  3. In case of refusal to submit to a breath analyzer test.
  4. In the case of mandatory insurance supervisions.
  5. In case you are found at fault in an accident that results in death, injury or property damage and were not covered by adequate liability insurance at the time.


  1. Contact a state-authorized insurance agency to request for a SR-22 filing.
  2. Pay the correct processing fee to the agency. The fee amount may vary between agencies.
  3. As per the State laws of Kansas, the minimum amount of coverage should be $25,000 for one person killed or injured, $50,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $10,000 for property damage.
  4. Upon receiving the request from the agent the central office then files the SR-22 electronically with the Department of Financial Responsibility of the Kansas DMV.
  5. If accepted, you will receive the SR-22 from the agency.
  6. The SR-22 has to be maintained for a minimum period of 36 months. If the motorist does not renew it at least 15 days before the expiration date the agency notifies the State. The State may then suspend the driving record of the motorist until the insurance is reinstated.


  1. If you are from out of state your out of state proof of financial responsibility will be accepted provided that your insurer certifies in writing that the insurance policy complies with the laws of the state of Kansas.
  2. If you are required to file SR-22 in Kansas you will have to do so through an insurance company that is licensed to do business in the state.


  • An amount ranging from $30,000 to $50,000 in cash or securities may be deposited with the State Treasurer in place of the SR-22. The motorist can also file a surety bond or a real estate bond approved by a court of record.